Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Life in a Glass House... shattered

Alright so i decided to take all of my words that i typed this summer and move it all here.

Here is a close to perfect summer concert run down. i quit keeping track after a while.


It is small but it is HUGE

Kilby Court: June 15, 2006
THE SOUND THE HARE HEARD TOUR Southerly, Thao Nguyen & Simone White
with Glade Soward

Colby Jon Seegmiller and I enjoyed this show. We always seem to find someone cool to talk to at these Kilby shows. Brinton Jones and Jake Fish of Palomino who I have known for about a year and are people I look up to because of their tastes in music and what they do for the local scene.
All the bands that played are on the Kill Rock Stars The Sound The Hare Heard comp. (not including Glade)
Kilby Court is a very small venue (Concidering it is a garage-gone-concert venue), But it is a "huge" venue in the sense that bands that were once small and then grew to be large (i.e. Death Cab For Cutie) and then other bands that are local become huge local because of Kilby Court.

June 11

Kilby Court Man Man, Dane & the Death Machine
I commuted down to Kilby Court by way of UTA's Trax, and longboarded the last few blocks between station and venue. Dane, Wesley and Katie had mentioned that there was a show that i should got to so I did.
Dane & the Death Machine (DDM) are amazing. and they are even better live and as a full band. I am glad that they are my friends.
Between sets I walked around the fire pit in the kilby yard and went to talk to Lenny, he is a photographer (as well as I) for the Daily Utah Chronicle, and he formentioned the touring band MAN MAN, so I stayed for what I call the birth of a revolution.
Man Man are a "Philly" local band, and they play a orchestra of instruments by five guys that seem to have put together masterpeices of music.
They have started a revolution in my head.

What is small is not always small. Kilby was once, but it isn't currently. The same thing can happen to these bands like so many others and so many more to come.
Colin Roe Ledbetter


Rogue Wave

06.30.06:
Kilby Court is great. So one part is a garage gone venue with a little fire area outside and a separate room just for merch. I remember once that the separate building that has the restrooms and Leia Bell's printing studio was used for a venue area also : the art room.
Rogue Wave is the only band that I have seen that used the fire area for a small acoustic encore and birthday serenade. It really made the night for me. I love seeing new things at old hang outs.
I love July at kilby because of all the good shows and the nice weather along with the good company

"If this is living Large, then I am happy living small"

Kilby Court July 12 Jonah Matranga w/ R2D2
Glade Soward & Jeremi Hanson
___________--____________

Well the amazing Kilby Court is home to the best shows for 6-15 dollars that the state of Utah can handle.
This is the second time I have seen Jonah at Kilby, last year was a big turning point in my life and Jonah's music, from whichever band he is doing at the moment, has always been there for me. Joey Nix and Drew Tomac accompanied me to the show, Joey and Drew's favorite works of Jonah are New End Original's (NEO) Thriller and Gratitude's s/t.
Jonah is on a trip being the single member of his tour, traveling to places that he loves, playing the music we love from every band he has been in and new songs and any requests the crowd throws out (even to play at a wedding at a future date). I requested that he play Hostage from NEO's Thriller, and i wish i would have requested 14-41 because I love the song and its insanely good lyrics.
There is just something about Jonah's shows that you cannot recreate in any situation (unless you buy the CD/DVD) but you would have had to be at the show to recreate it, and Kilby isn't on this one.
There is so much that i can only think about Jonah, it is hard to get them out into words. All i can say is that i love his work, all of it, and I love talking to him when he is in town and cant wait to do it again in time

look for Jonah's CDs and give them a listen/
Far
One Line Drawing (
OLD)
New End Original (
NEO)
Gratitude
Jonah Matranga
(
I think I saw him in that Fort Minor video, and i forgot to ask)

click the image below to go to the merch shop










Jonah also sells CDs from musicians that he likes. So check out The Annuals or Band of Annuals.
and if he ever gets any of Glade's work check that out.


Wild Like Children

Kilby Court

July 14 2006
Tilly and the Wall
Now it's overhead
Seve VS Evan

So i have never been so happy to just stand outside of Kilby Court and dance. Erica aka Stabby Von Killerstein, Corbin (my little bro [almost 12]) are all just chilling outside the doors because we arrived a little behind schedule, but once we arrived we knew that our bodies were going to be doused in sweat by the end of the night.
Seve vs Evan are a local Synth Keys & Percussion with a large following. These two boys make little red riding hood better then ever before with their version called Little Red and Wolfie B. When they play the crowd knows what hand movements and body wiggles to do and the shout and hollar at anything that makes them wiggle and groove
Now it's Overhead is a Saddle Creek Records band that i do not feel get enough recognition or play compared to many of the other bands on the label. I fell in love with them when i was sitting in my friends living room watching a Paste Magazine DVD and right after watching the music video for Azure Ray I noticed that there was a Now it's Overhead music video. I put it on and just listened in amazement. The same thing happened at the show, I just sat there in amazement.
Sometime before Tilly and the Wall set up i ran in to a friend from my first year at the U of U, Kelsey Stark, a good looking brunette from Park City that I got to know pretty well in the first few weeks of school and then we sorta separated and went out own ways for a while. But i sat and talked to her for 20 mins and i felt relieved that i could even do that after what had happened last year.
As always Tilly and the Wall does what they can to make the show as hot as they can while making everyone move on the dance floor. I have only missed a few performances by T&tW when they were much smaller in the way of crowds. While I was working at M-E Style with Miriam Tanner I made the comment "You don't know who Tilly and the Wall is?!" although i at the time didn't really recognize who they were i knew a bit about them. I became a running joke and now i try never to miss a show.
You can meet some of the most beautiful girls while at this show. I met a girl named Angela Renee a friend of Stabby, neither Stabby or Angela could stay at the sold out before we could get in show, but corbin and i waited it out just to get in or we would have spent the night dancing outside to the tunes coming through the wall
I await another night that everyone can be wild like children


Panic! at the "Sweatbox"

Panic! at the Disco

the Dresden Dolls
the Hush Sound
Monday July 24
In The Venue / Bricks

I dont even know why I showered. Once I walked in my body began to pour with sweat. I arrived to late for the opening band, the Hush Sound, but it seems that show had started before doors had been scheduled. I was going to meet Chase and Ally somewhere inside. Ally had called me and over the loud crowd i heard something like "we .. in the front... ." So I swam my way thru the sweat oozing pre-pubecent youth and various others before the Dresden Dolls began their set.

Now I am stuck in the middle of the lake of youth and salty water, the sun was still beating down on everyone, In The Venue has a roof that is detachable, so here i am in the middle of all this sweat and youth and the band isnt even playing. the crowd sways and rolls like waves on a sea , a sea of salty youth.


Pete Yorn is a Vampire

Pete yorn
"the You and Me" tour
Thursday July 27th
In The Venue / Bricks

If you don't know Pete Yorn you probably wont notice his music, but even many people I know that know Yorn cant really hum a few bars of his music to even help. But that all changed in my head when he came and played the corner stage at Bricks.
I had been listening to 101.9 The End all week trying to win tickets to the show and the exclusive Live End Zone recording at the radio station. All atempts to win were utter failures until the day of the concert while I was driving to work I called in and the phone rang, and it rang ... And then an answer! "You are caller number 3" says Biff Raff of the End. Oh well I was so excited but i was three off. Then i look over at Garland, my uncle, and he is on the phone too. "Hi, This is Garland Ledbetter, yeah sure i will hold." the bastard won. Well great.
But it all turned back for the better, I was trying to win the tickets, but not for myself but for Ally Gregory, she asked me a few weeks before and i told her i had no money, which is true to this day, but my uncle offered to buy me tickets so that Ally and I could go to dinner and to the show with he and my aunt Brandy.
While seeing Pete Yorn was on the list of cool things to do on a Thursday night i was even more excited to see 2 pairs of hands in the front waving and swirling around and dancing like the bodily counterparts. It was the pair of Angela's that danced with me and Stabby at Kilby, when together we call them Angela^2 (Squared). From where I was I could watch them dance and then i looked to the mirrored wall and i could see the beauty of the sheer excitement of the two girl that love the music of Pete and were happy to have gotten on the guest list from running in to the band at a in store show at the Bountiful GrayWhale CD store.
I cannot wait the release of Pete's new album Night Crawler which was recorded mostly the afternoon evening and night hours about the people that are around in the night and evening.
I am one of those people, i am a night crawler.

A Magical Evening

Harry and the potters
Draco and the malfoys
Drew Danburry

The Church of Awesome

Circa Survive
The Receiving end of sirens
Portugal the Man
Keating
When Frequencies Collapse (in the crowd)


A choice well made



Wednesday August 16 Kilby Court
Jessica Something Jewish
Ok Ikumi

So although these pictures are from last year they show what i was watching although James Glines has much longer hair now.
This is the first time i have seen Jessica Something Jewish since last year. Both time the shows have been very interesting. Last year the show was
. This year ever band was very electronic which made for a very dancy night.
When I arrived Trevor Hadley (Band of Annuals, The Lionelle, Alpha Brown) Matt ((I think) from Airliner), Tate (the Lionelle) and James Glines (JSJ).


It was a small show, family members of OK Ikumi and JSJ came to watch as well as many friends of the bands, Severin (Seve vs Evan) came to watch . Seve tried to talk a beautiful girl in to painting a picture of him riding side saddle naked on a dolphin. I have never laughed so hard at random conversation.

After the show I was riding UTA Trax and looking at the insert as I noticed in the thank you section that James had thanked me which is a honor in all rights. This is the second honor bestowed upon me from James, since last year he has used my picture on his website and while he was on tour in Australia my photo(below) was used by the press for many of their releases for show flyers.
I had the chance to go to the Mars Volta and Red Hot Chili Peppers at the Delta Center and I felt the need to not go because what is more important your friends or people you haven't even met yet.
"So lets Dance! Dance! Dance dance!"




Love


Colin Roe Ledbetter



It is Brinton Jones' birthday!


Brothers & Sisters
Band of Annuals
Palomino + Marcus Bentley
Chaz Prymek
Kilby Court
August 19 2006






No comments: